The Arenal Area Magazine

Tips for real estate buyers

Costa Rica real estate buyers tips, info and legal advice from Undercover Real Estate,
The Intelligent Choice!

Rapid Answers:

Yes you can buy Costa Rica real estate here with the exact same rights as a Costa Rican, except for the concession zone properties.
Costa Rica has a modernized digital system for registering properties located at the Registro Nacional in San Jose.
Most people have their properties put into an inexpensive corporation for protection and in fact most properties are transferred by merely changing the corporation shares and officers.

All the scary stuff of buying property in Costa Rica happens when the Buyer doesn’t use a real estate professional.
At Undercover Real Estate, we have never had a client’s property lost due to squatters, bad title, or unethical Attorneys.
Unlike the U.S., the lawyers here have all the power in a real estate purchase or sale-and we only use smart bilingual ethical lawyers to take care of you. Experience has taught us to be very selective.
More info is contained below, but feel free to call us with any of your questions, toll free. We’ll be glad to help!

Do I Really Need To Use A Realtor Or Broker In Costa Rica?
The answer is an emphatic yes! Costa Rica is not the 51st U.S. state, but a fiercely proud independent country with their own system of laws and ways of doing things.
Just because you remember some high school spanish and have the courage to drive in a foreign land, should not give you the confidence that you can find “deals” on your own.
The services of a professional real estate company can be invaluable when you are buying property in Costa Rica, before, during and after the purchase. Every area has its own particular quirks, secrets and customs, and this is why its important to use a local agency like Undercover Real Estate for the Arenal- La Fortuna Area. Also it’s crucial that you deal with realtors that have lived in Costa Rica for a number of years. Ask your realtor how long they have lived here, because it is not “just like home”!

A common fallacy is that supposedly locals offering properties for sale are ALWAYS cheaper than foreign sellers’ prices.
The reality is that the local (sometimes) will actually set his price way above market, knowing that with extreme patience (and si Dios quiere), his price will eventually be met.
Many times the better deal is from the foreign seller that needs that cash, now! We know exactly what you should be paying, and we will fight for the lowest price possible. Many a seller has left our office shaking their head after hearing Rigo’s famous, “that price is not even close to reality.” We know that you worked hard for your money, and we want to see you make a wise investment with us, as well as your friends and relatives, too!!! We love this country and really want your buying, selling, living, and investing experience to be as positive as we know it can be.
We will help you select the perfect property, attorney and other experts, assist with financing, and provide you with realistic price comparables and “no bull” market analysis. We can enlighten you to the realities of Costa Rican bureaucracy, assist in the discoveries of the hidden treasures found amongst us, but most importantly we will protect your investment–this is why you use a local realtor–especially Undercover Real Estate. Let our years experience in Costa Rica provide you with the comfort and security you need and deserve.
Can A Foreigner Buy And Sell Property In Costa Rica?
Ownership of real estate in Costa Rica by foreigners is fully guaranteed by the constitution. In addition, foreigners enjoy the same ownership rights as Costa Rican citizens, regardless of whether the property is placed in the name of a corporation or in the name of an individual. The only exception to this is in regards to concession lands, which will be discussed later.
What Legal Documents Can I See Prior To Making A Deposit?
Having selected your ideal property in Costa Rica, you will want to be absolutely certain of all the legalities, and particularly your rights in a foreign country. This is where Undercover Real Estate will ensure that you have expert legal assistance and will guide you through each step of the buying process.
First, we will need to see an official Costa Rican Registry report, (informe registral) which will provide detailed information on the property, including the name of the title holder, boundary lines, tax appraisal, liens, mortgages, recorded easements, and other recorded instruments that would affect title. Since Costa Rica follows the doctrine of first in time, first in right, ALL recorded instruments regarding property for sale presented to the Public Registry are given priority according to the date and time in which they are recorded. Since the certificate of title issued by the Public Registry is prima facie evidence of the condition of title on the date issued, any instrument not recorded at the time the certificate is issued is invalid. The need for title insurance is eliminated since the lawyers we use do the exact same type of title investigation as a title company would, and it’s rare when even they believe it would be helpful. Those situations do exist however, as in the case of farm land with an old title in the name of a person who died and 10 of their kids are listed as property owners.
The second document, the “catastro” or “cadastral” will show all boundaries and markers, neighboring properties with owner’s/corporation names, and whether there are any local or national ordinances affecting that particular piece. Your attorney will advise you on the legality of the presented documents, and may request that any deposit be held by him or title company until all paper work is satisfactory. In addition, all obligations (water, electricity, road access, all taxes on the property paid up to date, etc) promised by the owner need to be clearly stated in the written agreement. If the promised time for completion of these obligations is considerable, again request that an amount of the purchase funds to be withheld by the attorney until the obligations have been met.
All properties have a titled registration number known as the Folio Real, and the records database can be searched with this number or by name index. Anyone may do research through the official web site of the National Registry
Step By Step Through The Purchase Process:
These are the basics that a purchaser follows when buying a property in Costa Rica:

* Sign a Letter of Intent-Preliminary Purchase Agreement.
If you are in Costa Rica, we suggest you make a small refundable deposit via credit card, or cash, usually $500-$1000 to show the Seller you are serious and to take it off the market (usually for 5-10 days after you have returned home.) The lawyers we recommend, can take a credit card charge.

* Deposit 5-10% of the purchase price with a “real” Escrow Company like E&T Escrow and Trust Solutions SRL ( , or an approved attorney’s escrow account. If your funds are to be wired into Costa Rica, there will be an Escrow agreement that will provide the legal support that you expect.
Please remember that wire transfers from the States typically take 2-5 business days.

* Due Diligence including Title and corporation research performed by an approved Lawyer and/or title company attorneys, sometimes prior to your making an offer. In Costa Rica, all notaries must be attorneys, and are registered with the Bar Association, (Colegio de Abogados).

*Closing with final transfer of funds, execution of transfer deed, endorsement of shares, change of officers and/or mortgage deed.
*Register new owner with Public Registry (Registro Nacional).
In about 9-12 weeks, receive official title.
* Undercover Real Estate will ensure that you are protected, every step of the way!
How Is Title Transferred?
When buying property in Costa Rica, property is transferred from seller to buyer by executing a transfer deed ( escritura ) before a public notary, except when merely transferring shares of a corporation, which has become the norm.
Unlike common law countries, such as the United States and Canada, where the role of the notary is limited to authenticating signatures, in Costa Rica the public notary must be an attorney! They have extensive power to act on behalf of the state as they draft and interpret legal documents, and authenticate and certify the authenticity of documents.

Once a transfer deed is accepted for registration, the Public Registry will return the original document with all the documentary stamps affixed to it and properly sealed. Assuming no defects in the transfer deed, it should be registered by the Public Registry within 45 to 60 days after presentation.

How Much Are The Closing Costs?

The old custom was for the Buyer and Seller to share equally in the closing costs. HOWEVER these days most properties are in a recently formed corporation and therefore when the Seller has provided a 100% approved clean corporation, they have provided a method for all to save money. In these cases the Buyer becomes responsible for paying all the closing-transfer costs, generally 1% of the selling price. Of course every deal is different, but these are the current accepted ways of doing things.

Closing costs containing the legal fees are based on the real sales price, and now, as declared by the Colegio de Abogados, 1.5%. This fee sometimes negotiable, depending upon the relationship that Undercover Real Estate has with that particular attorney.
We demand that you don’t pay more than 1% for transferring shares of corporations. If the property is not in a corporation, or you desire a new corporation, additional costs are the transfer land tax, legal fees, and miscellaneous fees which are about 2.6% of the declared value of the property. For the purpose of lowering the property transfer land tax, it had been common practice to lower the gross amount paid by declaring a much lower sum than the actual sales price, (although be aware that acting in this manner could cause problems in the future and with only 3.79% total closing costs why bother).
We at Undercover Real Estate will help you choose a highly competent, extremely intelligent, honest attorney before buying property in Costa Rica.

How Much Are The Yearly Property Taxes?

Property taxes (Municipal Taxes) are only ¼ of 1% of the declared value. Thus for every $100,000, the property tax is only $250 ANNUALLY. Coincidentally this percentage is about the same to purchase home-owners insurance. Be aware that a new luxury tax was approved, and levied at the same one fourth of one percent, yet, this doesn’t seem to be enforced in every municipality.

The municipal tax is administered at the municipal level and varies throughout the country. Paid quarterly, the type of property, location and other factors contribute to the calculation of this tax and MUST be shown to be fully paid immediately prior to transferring title.

What About Capital Gains Taxes?

A nice incentive for foreign investment is that there is no personal capital gain tax. The Costa Rican government will not tax you on the profit from the future sale of your property as long as this is not undertaken as a means of business. You would be obligated to pay taxes on any “declared” earnings being brought back to your country of citizenship, You can claim an exemption from U.S. Income tax of up to $85,700 for 2007 (and lesser amounts for earlier years) in earnings from employment or self employment while residing outside of the U.S. for a full calendar year, or for any fiscal 12 month period providing you are not in the U.S. for more than 35 days during that fiscal year. Both you and your working spouse can each separately claim this exemption for up to $164,800 in U.S. tax free income for 2006. Please contact a tax advisor with experience for foreign filing!

Who Pays The Sales Commission?

The most common way is that the Seller pays the commission to the realtor or broker at closing. The buyer or purchaser does not have to pay any commission when buying property in Costa Rica, unless you have chosen this method with your Broker, and he acts 100% as a “buyer’s agent”.

Can I Have The Title Of Property In My Own Name?

The decision to have the property that you are buying in Costa Rica in your own personal name or in the name of a corporation is strictly up to the investor. To put it in the name of a corporation is very common; it can offer benefits of asset protection, anonymity for the actual owner, and makes title transfer easier and cheaper . A valid passport for four representatives (president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer-all can be foreigners) is the only requirement for a foreigner to form a corporation in Costa Rica; the cost ranges from $300-$600 in most cases. More corporation info will be found on this website.

How Can I Ensure That I Have Clear Title To The Property?

It is important that you or your attorney take the necessary steps in order to properly register the property, and more importantly, be assured that the property in question is free of all liens and encumbrances before buying property in Costa Rica.

Of particular interest to North Americans is t he additional security offered by Chicago Title, Stewart Title and First American Title. These relatively new concepts to Costa Rican real estate transactions can further ensure that your purchase could be more fully secured, although EVERY COSTA RICAN ATTORNEY RELIES ON THE IDENTICAL INFORMATION PROVIDED BY THE NATIONAL REGISTRY. Thus most of our transactions are handled without a Title Guaranty, particularly in new condo projects, or lots within a gated community, (however we will strongly recommend Title Guarantees in the case of purchasing farms or probate properties).

The Registro Nacional (Property Registry) is located in San Jose – Zapote, where all property documents are recorded, thus a title search at the Registry would confirm good title and proper ownership.
In the event that adjustments were made to any given title, these alterations must be recorded at the Registry. The Public Registry report (informe registral) provides detailed information on the property, including the name of the title holder, boundary lines, tax appraisal, liens, mortgages, recorded easements, and other recorded instruments that would affect title.
Do I Need To Have Residency To Purchase Property?
No, it is not necessary to have residency to buy property in Costa Rica. You can buy with your tourist status. Living here is another matter, as a foreigner and tourist you have to leave the country for 72 hours once every 3 months in order to renew your legal status in Costa Rica. Some of the foreigners without residency enjoy traveling and visiting Nicaragua or Panama for a couple of days, or go back home for a short trip, or discover more of Central America in order to renew their visa.
There are many forms of residency available, we can help you to contact an attorney who can assist you in determining what residency status would work for you. If you plan on living here year round, you will find it easier if you have legal residency.
How Can I Get Residency In Costa Rica?
There are several ways to get a residency here, with different types, such as Pensionado, Rentista or Inversionista. It depends on your individual situation; we recommend consulting a lawyer regarding residency.
For all residency requirements and updates we highly recommend: such as: or
The easiest? way is to fall in love and marry a Costa Rican. They recently have changed the divorce laws, so now, it no longer 3 years before one can file for the divorce. The government has cracked down a little on obvious “fake” marriages.

What Are The Regulations Regarding “Concession” Beach Front Properties?
When buying property located on or very close to Costa Rica’s beaches, you should be aware of the following:
In ALL OF COSTA RICA, the first 50 meters from the mean tide mark CANNOT LEGALLY be built on by anybody, anywhere in the country, as it is considered public beach.
An estimated 95% of Costa Rican beaches falls under a category known as the Maritime Zone Law, which affects the 150 meters adjoining the first 50 meters of land measured from the median tide line. This 150 meters is subject to the Maritime Zone Law (Concession), (unless the property was registered prior to 1973, in which case it has full title and can be transferred as such and called “titled to the 50 meter line”). Concession property operates as a leasehold agreement with the Costa Rican ICT, and local Municipality and we strongly urge caution when purchasing this type of property. Many people say that concession properties have never been confiscated, but we advise to seek other property if given an alternative.
Here Are Some Official Regulations Regarding Concessions: (Thanks to CCCBR)
Concessions for maritime zone beach property cannot be granted to:
• Foreigners who have not been residents for five years
• Companies with bearer shares
• Foreign companies based abroad
• A company set up in Costa Rica exclusively for foreigners.
• A company with more than fifty percent foreign capital (ZM Art. 47)
• Concessions on maritime zone beach property can be forfeited for the following reasons:
• Failure to apply for an extension of a concession in a timely manner
• The forfeiture of rights by the interested parties
• The death or legal absence of the concession holder with no heir
• Not abiding by the established obligations of Article 51
• Cancellation of the concession (ZM Art. 52)
The ICT can cancel a concession on maritime zone beach property for:
• Non payment of the yearly canon or royalty (new battles!)
• Breach of contract (e.g. use of the land for purposes other than those expressly stated by ICT)
• Violation of the ordinances of the law that grants the concession
• Impediment of the use of the public right of way
• Other causes that this law establishes (ZM Art. 53)
All in all, an investment in shoreline property regulated by the Maritime Zoning Law requires extra caution and thorough investigation. The reality is that ambiguities exist within the written law, so that as regulations are created and amended, rights to property may also change. There are no guarantees and there is no foolproof way around the law. Even if you get a concession, there are no guarantees that the concessions will be renewed or that the price of the concession or the yearly canon will be within reason. The fact remains that you are not purchasing property, you are leasing it and you must be willing to accept that risk. ONE LAST THING: MOST OF THE MAJOR HOTEL-CONDO PROJECTS ALL READY BUILT OR CURRENTLY IN CONSTRUCTION ARE ON CONCESSION PROPERTIES!!!
Costa Rican Corporate Structures For Business Interests
Types Of Legal Business Organizations
The Costa Rican Commerce Code has the following forms of corporate organization:
• Anonymous corporation (sociedad anonima), so called because the Registry of Shareholders is not easily discovered by the general public; your lawyer can better explain.
• Limited liability company (Sociedad de Responsabilidad Limitada)
• Liability companies (Sociedad en Comandita y Sociedad Limitada).
The Sociedad Anónima is the most common form of Stock Corporation in Costa Rica, given its structural flexibility. The typical rates charged range from $350-$600, costs include official government stamps, taxes and legal fees. There may be additional costs involved when a change in the board of directors of an off-the-shelf corporation is desired. If the company is to be recorded as a tax contributor, there may be additional expenses. Some law firms have established a cost of approximately $500-$600 for an off the shelf corporation, including viaticals, registration fees, the issuing of stock certificates, changes in the board of directors, and approval of corporate books. In the case of existing corporations, ask your attorney whether the corporation he is selling you has had any commercial activity, and whether he can certify that the company has no debts or non-disclosed liabilities, because when you acquire the shares of an existing company, you are getting its assets as well as any liabilities or obligations. Foreign nationals may be shareholders and/or serve as board members or officers, but if the company is to be registered as a tax contributor, the foreigner needs to provide a physical address in Costa Rica.
A resident agent must be appointed for purposes of receiving notices, when the legal representative is not found. Under Costa Rican civil, commercial and administrative laws, corporations are separate legal entities, with a distinct personality, that is, their assets are considered separate from the assets of its shareholders or officers. The so-called ¨corporate veil¨ is usually respected, except in cases involving child support (pensiones alimentarias), alimony, and sometimes marital assets, when the spouse shows that he/she was a founding shareholder in the company. Responsibility or liabilities of a company do not reach its shareholders, parent company or other related entities. The Commerce Code states that the obligations of the shareholders are limited to payment of the capital stock.
There are no restrictions on capitalization. However, whenever capitalization causes an increment in value of the stock of a company, the corporate resolution to increase the social capital must be elevated to a public deed, that is, authorized by a Notary Public, published in the official gazette and submitted to the Public Registry.
Purchase Of Land Through Costa Rican Corporations
Many people prefer to set up a corporation, and register the title to real estate property to that corporation’s name. This is a way of protecting their assets, and it may also facilitate future transfers, as the stock of the company can be transferred tax-free, thus avoiding property transfer taxes and registration stamps. Also, if a title guarantee has been obtained in the name of the corporation, the guarantee will remain in place even if there is a change of stock ownership or in the board of directors. Costa Rican corporations can also be beneficiaries of leaseholds or concessions in the Maritime Zone, and foreigners can own shares in Costa Rican corporations, so the hurdle of having to reside legally in the country for at least 5 years may be overcome when necessary, as long as 50% of the social capital of the Costa Rican corporation is owned by a Costa Rican. This structure where a Costa Rican owns at least 50% of the shares is only necessary when there are hurdles such as the limitations contained in Maritime Zone Law that require that the capital of a company that applies for a concession be owned in this proportion; otherwise, a foreigner has no specific limitation on the percentage of shares he/she can own in a corporation. However, one must keep in mind that in order to form a new corporation, at least two founding shareholders are necessary. Once the company is recorded, the shares may be transferred by endorsement or by an assignment contract. Ownership of recordable assets, such as real estate and cars, has become the main purpose of most of the registered companies (especially S.A.’s) in the country. This is because corporations provide asset protection in many cases. LATELY THERE HAVE DISCUSSIONS OF USING “TRUSTS”, PLEASE CONSULT YOUR LAWYER ABOUT THIS ALTERNATIVE.

What Does It Cost To Build In Costa Rica?
We have known people to pay as low as $58 per square foot and as high as $150 a square foot.
Building Versus Buying An Existing Home? What’s The Process To Build?
There is a licensing body for architects and engineers, Colegio de Ingenieros y Arquitectos, which sets standards for fees should you decide to build. These prices however are not chiseled in concrete! Of course it is much easier to buy property already established, but if you must build, it is strongly advised that you have prior building experience, speak some Spanish, or have a solid recommendation for either the construction company or an architect. Costa Rica offers a wide availability of good quality construction materials, reputable contractors and construction companies. Most construction meets or exceeds California’s seismic codes, due to the low price of concrete. Hardwoods and imported tile are cheaper than the U.S. and laborers are plentiful from Nicaragua. There are many builders we can recommend, with proven track records.
All architects and engineers in Costa Rica must be licensed by the Costa Rican Association of Engineers and Architects (olegio Federado de Ingenieros y Ingenieros y Arquitectos-CFIA). This governing body establishes the fee schedule that can be charged by its members. Most fees are based upon a percentage of the value of the construction project. According to the regulations of the CFIA (Reglamento para la Contratación de Servicios de Consultoría en Ingeniería y Arquitectura), the involvement of a licensed architect/engineer in a construction project is separated into two phases. Phase 1 is construction plans and permits and Phase 2 is control and execution.

Preliminary studies (estudios preliminaries): 0.5 percent. These studies may or may not be required, depending on the scope of the project.
Preproject design (anteproyecto): 1.0 to 1.5 percent. Generally, during this stage, the architect/engineer will meet with the client in order to discuss the client’s construction requirements. With this information, the architect/engineer will prepare drafts of the proposed construction project for review by the client. These drafts should include site planning and preliminary work drawings. When you contract for this service be sure you agree with your architect/engineer before hand on what he or she is going to provide for you.
Construction plans and technical specifications (planos de construcción y especificaciones técnicas): 4.0 percent. This is one of the most important steps in the overall construction project since execution of the project will depend upon the quality and accuracy of your construction plans. Once you and your architect/engineer have agreed on the layout and design of the project, she or he will begin drafting the plans. In Costa Rica, a complete set of plans should include a site plan, distribution plan, elevation and transversal and longitude perspectives, roof design and drainage, design of footings and support beams, structural plans, electrical design, mechanical and sanitary system design, as well as a plan that details all of the interior finishings of the construction.
Budgeting (presupuesto): 0.5 percent for global budgeting; 1.0 percent for itemized budgeting. Here the architect/engineer prepares a materials list based upon your construction plans and prepares a construction budget for you.
Construction Permits

Phase 1. Construction plans and permits. This phase is further subdivided into several distinct professional services that can be provided to the client by the architect/engineer. The percentages cited below are those that the CFIA has established as minimum chargeable fees.
Before you purchase a lot with the intent of building on it, you should conduct some preliminary studies on the property to ensure that there won’t be a problem obtaining a building permit. First, determine if the lot has basic services such as water, electricity, telephone, and drainage. Second, make sure there are no restrictions placed on the lot that could result in the denial of a construction permit. It will not be enough to check the Public Registry. You should also check the Ministry of Public Works (Ministerio de Obras Públicas y Transporte) for future road construction projects; the Ministry of Health (Ministerio de Salud); the National Institute of Housing and Urban Development (Instituto Nacional de Vivienda y Urbanismo) and the municipality where the property is located (municipalidad). And finally, be aware of any environmental regulation that may effect your construction project, such as national wildlife refuges and areas deemed protected by the forestry Law. (see MINAE and SETENA below).
Requests for construction permits are filed with the Permit Reception Office (Oficina Receptora de Permisos de Construcción), which is a centralized office that houses government representatives from MOPT (Ministerio de Obras Públicas y Transportes-roads), INVU (Instituto Nacional de Vivienda y Urbanismo- housing), ICE (Instituto Costarricense de Electricidad-telephone), AYA (Instituto Costarricense de Acueductos y Alcantarillados-water), SNE (Servicio Nacional de Electricidad-electricity), CFIA (Colegio Federado de Ingenieros y Arquitectos), and the Ministry of Health (Ministerio de Salud).
For a single family home that measures more than 70 m2 (735.2 ft.2), the applicant must provide the following documentation: four copies of the construction plans, four copies of the property cadastre plot plan (Plano catastrado), four copies of the permit checklist (hoja de comisión), two copies of your property deed (escritura), one copy of the consulting contract with your architect/engineer (contrato de consultoria), an approval from the water company (AYA) regarding availability of water, and one copy of your electrical design plan approved by SNE. Condominium projects, commercial construction, and urbanization projects all carry additional requirements for obtaining construction permits.
In addition to these requirements, you will need to request a building permit from the municipality in which the property is located. By law it is the municipality that is delegated the responsibility to ensure that all constructions comply with building regulations (Article 1, Construction Law). You can, therefore, expect periodic visits to your construction site by the municipal building inspector, who must certify that the construction is proceeding according to code.
We don’t mean to scare you with the above information, but to be w ell informed will eliminate future problems. We are experiencing a building boom currently, so its not impossible to follow procedures and get things done right.
Undercover Real Estate will recommend builders and arquitects that we trust.

Minae is the Ministry of Energy and the Environment which governs and enforces the environmental laws in effect here in Costa Rica. Minae is entrusted with protecting ecosystems and species and can be called upon to file denuncias or legal charges in cases of environmental damage by Costa Ricans and foreigners alike. Indeed, in Costa Rica, Article 50 of the Constitution gives all HUMANS the right to enjoy a healthy and balanced natural environment and provides that the STATE or government will guarantee and preserve this right for all.
All permits for cutting trees and general aspects of land use are delimited by MINAE in accordance with these environmental laws. Therefore, if your property contains primary or secondary jungle, rivers, streams or springs, your use is strictly limited and should be investigated with authorities in your area to avoid serious civil and criminal penalties. Moreover, if any of these trees are rivers or springs are situated on steep mountain slopes, the laws governing construction are different.

MINAE works in conjunction with local Municipalites as well as with SETENA, the Technical Environmental Secretary charged with evaluating environmental impact incurred with all development projects. You need a Technical Study or Estudio Technico to move forward with any kind of development or construction activity, and there are private companies that can assist you with these studies, check

Many properties are part of a Municipal Zoning Plan or Plan Reguladora. In this case, your local Municipal government can tell you if a plan exists for your area, OR IS IN THE WORKS, and give you any regulations set forth therein. Any activities carried out on your property must be permitted by the zoning plan. Moreover, if your property is in a coastal zone or Zona Maritima, you must request special permits from the Municipal government as well from the Tourism Institute (ICT) to carry out any kind of construction or tourism activity.
Ministry of Environment and Energy (MINAE)Information Office Headquarters Telephone: (506) 283- 8094 SETENA PHONE NUMBERS: ,234-3368,234-3369 EMAIL: FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT:

Can I Use IRS 1031 Exchanges or IRAs For Costa Rica Real Estate?
Yes, for those U.S. citizens who are sophisticated investors looking for unique real estate investment avenues, we recommend that you consult with your tax professional for the best strategies tailored to your specific needs.

NEW LAWS PASSED JULY 30, 2009 Regarding Client providing information to Banks, Escrow and Insurance Companies:
This is in observance of Law No. 8204 “Estupefacientes, Sustancias Psicotrópicas, Drogas de Uso No Autorizado, Actividades Conexas, Legimitación de Capitales y Financiamiento al Terrorismo” (the anti money-laundering law), which requires that financial institutions complete a dossier on clients whose financial movements exceed $10,000.
In July 2008, when laws were changed to allow insurance companies other than INS to operate in Costa Rica, Law No. 8204 was also changed to encompass insurance companies, based on the fact that they are indeed financial institutions.
INS – which is still the only insurance company operating in this country – has integrated a Compliance Office, with a full-time staff to make sure of full compliance, because the consequences are expensive if a financial institution is found to be in non-compliance!
INS is now getting serious. Their first objective is to improve, update and complete a data base of its clients, known as Base Unificada de Clientes, or “BUC”. To do this, it has ruled that as of July 1st, 2009, applications for new insurance or applications to modify existing policies must attach a form “Información del Cliente”, without which INS simply will not process applications. Excepted are the simpler one-shot policies, such as Flight insurance, Students’ insurance, Traveller’s Accident insurance, etc.
The form is detailed, and requires from the client the usual identity and contact information. If the client is a corporation, the information is required of the corporation itself and also of the person representing the corporation (“apoderado”), whose power-of-attorney (“personería”) must be attached.
The form must be signed by the client or the legal representative, if a corporation. Must attach:
– Copies of the client’s and signer’s ID’s.
– Proof of address (light, phone, or water bill)
– Proof of income and sources of income.
– “Personería” of the signer (for corporations.)
Once a client has complied by filling out the “Información del Cliente” form and providing the additional info, there will be no more disclosure requirements from that client for two years – after which the information in the BUC is considered obsolete, and the form, etc. has to be done again. Otherwise, it is said, INS will not renew that client’s insurance policies.
These requirements are fairly stringent, and we assume that, initially, they will have to be fully complied with: “A new broom sweeps clean” and although everyone is used to bureaucracy, disclosure is indeed a new ballgame for INS.
Client Info Forms and Client Info EXAMPLE Forms can be provided.
1- The forms must be sent in with ORIGINAL signatures. No Faxes. No Scanning. No Fotos. Only Snail Mail or similar service.
2- If you need help translating your data from English to Spanish, we’re glad to help. Just send a copy of the Client Info Forms BLANK with original signature, and another with your data in English, as explained in the example forms.

New, broader immigration bill finally passed
August 5, 2009 A.M. Costa Rica staff

Lawmakers passed for the second and final time Tuesday a new immigration law that seeks to integrate foreigners into the Costa Rican culture.

Although the primary concern is for the Central American immigrants, First World expats also will have to join the Caja Costarricense de Seguro Social as a condition of their residency. Visitors will be able to seek residency without leaving the country as is the requirement now.

The law will not take effect until six months after it is signed and published, so expats seeking residency will have options. The new law raises the monthly financial requirement for pensionados to $1,000 from $600, but it is not retroactive. A retroactive clause was deleted. Rentistas will have to show a steady monthly income of $2,500 but close family members are included in that requirement.

One response

  1. Very good article I enjoy your website keep up the great blog posts

    August 1, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s